Over 1.5 Goals Meaning & Betting Guide Detail
The over/under 1.5 goals betting market is a popular choice among UK punters for both pre-match and live betting. In this market, you’re essentially predicting the total number of goals that will be scored in a football match. Here’s how it works:
- Over 1.5 goals: You win your bet if there are 2 or more goals scored in the match. If there are 2, 3, 4, or more goals, you still win; it’s about having at least 2 goals in total.
- Under 1.5 goals: You win your bet if there is 1 or 0 goals scored in the match. If there are no goals or only one goal in the match, your bet is successful.
It’s important to note that over/under markets are a two-way betting market, meaning there are only two possible outcomes: you either win or lose; there are no draws in this market. The “.5” is used to avoid the need for an exact number of goals, like 3 goals, by allowing you to bet on the outcome with a half-goal increment. This makes it simpler and eliminates the possibility of a push or draw result.
Betting on Over 1.5 Goals
When betting on the over 1.5 goals market, most betting sites categorize it under “Over/Under” or “Match Goals.” Additionally, you have the option to bet on over 1.5 goals for either team, indicating your belief that they will score 2 or more goals in the match.
It’s worth noting that over 1.5 goals markets tend to have shorter odds in the pre-match markets. However, they can become more attractive for in-play bets or even half-time betting, where the dynamics of the game may change.
For those looking for safer live match bets, we recommend considering Asian lines. Betting on the over 1 goal line allows you to receive a refund if there is just one goal in the match, but you win if there are 2 or more goals. This market can be particularly advantageous for half-time betting.
For instance, if it’s around 10-20 minutes into the game and it appears that either team could score, you might want to try an over 1 half-time goal-line bet. With this, you’ll receive a refund if there’s only one goal, but you’ll win if there are 2 or more goals. This approach can often lead to doubling or even tripling your stake.
Betting on Under 1.5 Goals
The under 1.5 goals market typically offers high odds and is considered quite risky, but it can be profitable for the right games.
This market can also be advantageous for live betting if the match appears to be cautious, or if both teams have been struggling to score. Many websites provide statistics for under 1.5 goals in a match, and with thorough research, you can find good value bets in this market.
Why Bet on Over/Under 1.5 Goals?
The over/under markets are among the most popular for betting, and they have a significant amount of liquidity on Betfair, with over/under 2.5 goals being the most popular, closely followed by over/under 1.5 goals.
The odds for over/under 1.5 goals typically range between 1.1 and 1.4, depending on the expected goal count in the specific game.
Betting on over/under 1.5 goals is a straightforward method, as you only need to predict whether there will be at least two goals in the match. If you anticipate a game with at least two goals, it can be a profitable bet. Conversely, if you believe the match will be low-scoring with no more than one goal, you can opt for under 1.5 goals.
Strategies for Betting on the Over / Under 1.5 Goals Market
When considering betting on the over/under 1.5 goals market, it’s essential to adopt a strategic approach to find value. While it may seem apparent that certain matches will have many goals, successful betting is often more complex.
Here are some strategies that can give you an advantage when betting on the over/under 1.5 goals market:
- Exploit bookie mistakes: Bookmakers initially price matches based on algorithms but often don’t adjust their models in-play, even when goals are scored that change the game dynamics. Early goals, for example, can open up games more than expected. Utilizing tools like the Trade on Sports HT Overs Bot can identify over 1.5 goal opportunities based on halftime scores and instances where there’s an over 80% chance of another goal being scored. This approach has shown substantial profits in testing.
- Injured Strikers: If one or both teams have their primary strikers injured, they may struggle to score goals. In such cases, betting on under 1.5 goals could offer value.
- Defenders missing: Conversely, if key defenders are absent from either side, they might struggle to keep goals out, making it a wise choice to bet on over 1.5 goals.
- Late-stage tournaments: In international football tournaments like the Euros and World Cups, goals can be scarce, particularly in the latter stages. Teams often adopt a cautious mindset to avoid losing, resulting in fewer goals. Betting on under 1.5 goals in such instances can be advantageous.
- Mismatches: Contrary to common belief, matches between top and bottom teams don’t always result in one-sided thrashings. Paying attention to teams that are strong defensively but struggle to score goals, typically found towards the bottom of the table, can provide good value for under 1.5 goals bets.
I’m Jim Henson, the Senior Commercial Content Editor at Bookie Expert – Review Top Bookie UK. I’ve previously worked at theScore in Toronto and OwnersBox in Kitchener. I’m a devoted fan of the Miami Dolphins and the Cleveland Guardians. Notably, I served as the batboy during the Toronto Blue Jays’ World Series wins in 1992 and 1993. When it comes to betting, I have a preference for the “over.”